The following recipe was given to me by my Dad, Curt Komoroski.
Yield: 10 to 12 Portions
Prep Time: 35 Minutes
Cook Time: 60 Minutes
- 1 Large Head of Fresh Cabbage or 10-12 Medium Green Peppers
- 1 1/2 Lbs. Ground Beef (85/15)
- 1 Lb. Lean Ground Pork
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 T. Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- 1 T. Salt
- 3/4 C. Dry Instant Rice
- 1 Small Onion
- 1 T. Diced Garlic (Fresh or Bottled)
- 1 Can (10.75 oz.) Campbell’s Tomato Soup
- 1 T. Sugar
- 1/2 Soup Can Cold Water
- 1 Cup Heinz ketchup
- In a large kettle simmer 1 1/2 gallons of lightly salted water.
- Cook instant rice, following the box instructions. When finished chill for 1/2 hour in Refrigerator.
- Cut head of cabbage in half, removing the core and trimming off the bottom. Trim any large veins.
- If possible, remove 2 to 3 outer leaves trimming the large leg vein.
- In a medium bowl, combine soup, water, sugar, and ketchup together. Mix well.
- Remove rice from refrigerator.
- In a lrg bowl mix together meat, seasonings, rice, egg, and 3/4 cup of soup mixture. Blend well.
- Out meat mixture make 10 to 12 meatballs (about the size of a lemon)
- With water simmering, cabbage leads and place into water 3 to 4 minutes until limp removing with tongs and In a colander, again removing any leg veins.
- Continue this until you have 10 to 12 leaves. Save any broken leaves.
- Now take your meatballs wrapping them with the cabbage and evenly setting them into a 9x13 baking dish (glass is preferred)
- If needed cover meatballs with smaller cabbage pieces, so they will be completely wrapped.
- Pour the remainder of soup mixture evenly over the rolls.
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Place rolls into oven, uncovered for 60 to 75 minutes.
- About every 20 minutes baste the rolls with the sauce in the pan. (tip:you may want to make a larger portion of tomato sauce)
- After 60 minutes, check the internal temp of the rolls using a stem thermometer. Safe temperature is 160°-165° F
- When temperature is reached, remove from oven. The Cabbage Rolls are ready to serve.
Alternate Recipe - Stuffed Peppers
- With a pairing knife cut out stem from top of the pepper pulling out and remove veins and seeds from inside using a teaspoon. Be sure to thoroughly rinse.
- Place 2 to 3 peppers into the simmering water for at least 5 minutes. Sometimes up to 10 min depending on the pepper.
- Remove when softened and drain thoroughly in a colander.
- Stuff the peppers with meat mixture.
- All other procedures for cabbage rolls the same.
Serve with Homemade Mashed Potatoes, using the tomato sauce as a gravy.